Monday, March 12, 2018

The Art of the Good Life #14 : Circle of Competence

The last chapter was easy to read because Fuck You money agrees with me so much.

This week's chapter is the opposite because it really exposes just how dumb my latest career moves are.

The harsh truth is this  - Most of us have a really small circle of competence and this chapter reminds us that we should really just stick to it. If we know what we're good at, we should just focus on it and build a career around our personal strengths.

I think in the absence of passive income, this is something which I would have done. I would slowly retool myself into an IT Compliance professional and possibly try to stay that way for as long as possible. There are endless IT certifications to attain, in fact just before Law School, I got TOGAF certified so I am able to talk convincingly about Enterprise Architecture ( Most epic bullshit in the IT world which I'm glad did not catch on ).

But Fuck You money sometimes make you do really dumb things, often because you can and most folks, well, can't.

Legal work is so disjoint from my circle of competence as an engineer and a personal finance hobbyist, that I think I've been striving to promote my incompetence and being a sucker for punishment.

So, this chapter has a good point. I've been too focused on my deficiencies. But a lot depends on how you see what your circle of competence is.

If I see my circle of competence as IT, then I'm probably a real idiot for running to SMU to do my JD program. If I see my strength as learning new things and find synergies in different disciplines regardless of what kind of career I will eventually have, then I might have something to console myself with.

But still, thank god for Fuck You money. Nothing make idiocy viable as much as passive income.

A training contract is tough and pays less than what a domestic help gets, but I can survive this !

And I think there's a seminar on Legal Tech this weekend.

Maybe I'll find my niche there...






No comments:

Post a Comment